The need to systematise and
promulgate education amongst literate aspirants of undivided Bengal,
dawned in the mind of The Bishop of Calcutta, way back in 1879. His “do
it please, now . . . . . .” note to Oxford University, drew ten
spiritually enriched intellectual volunteers, to the King’s chamber at
England. The Empirical Canon proclaimed the formation of ‘OXFORD
MISSION’ comprising of a “Brotherhood of the Epiphany.”
The early Brothers set sail for the Calcutta Port in 1890 with copies of
‘mandates’, carefully framed by Bishop Charles Gore. Although the
initial years were effectively utilised by the Brothers’ within the
walls of Calcutta University, they further set camp in rice-growing
areas on the Eastern fringe of Calcutta, mainly to establish a ministry
for the survival of isolated group of Christian villagers.
The ‘male only’ pastoral barrier was shed in 1902 with the formation of
a “Sister-hood at Barisal” and later in Calcutta, both well-linked with
Having achieved the set goals, Father Frederick Winfred Douglass founded
and activated another Oxford Mission Orphanage Hostel at Behala, located in the southern
fringes of Calcutta.
The proclamation of Independence and subsequent division of territories,
as India and Pakistan Missionary activities in Calcutta and Bangladesh
were physically segregated but ideologically, spiritually and
financially enjoined under the U.K. Committee of Oxford Mission, located
at Romsey, Hampshire, U.K.